Computers Linux

Trackpad issue on Acer Aspire One under Ubuntu 8.4.1

I am holding out for the OneLinux distribution specifically targeted for the Acer Aspire One. Meanwhile I have installed Ubuntu 8.4.1 according to the instructions on the Ubuntu community forums. Everything works fine apart from the trackpad which just dies on me sometimes. And when it dies it will not come back. As a matter of fact it doesn’t even help to restart the computer. I have to boot Ubuntu 8.4.1 from the CD and the reboot from the internal HD to get the trackpad operational again.

First I thought I had managed to mess things up when I opened up the AAO to insert more memory but the more I studied it the more convinced I became that the issue is in fact software related.

The trackpad never stops working in the middle of something – only when the computer has been suspended (but not every time). When the system boots up OK I can see the following two lines in the output to dmesg:

[ 25.547798] Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 7.2, id: 0x1c0b1, caps: 0xd04771/0xa40000
[ 25.601159] input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio2/input/input7

However, on occasions when the mouse is not operational after a reboot, these lines are absent and instead there is one line:

[ 24.997164] psmouse.c: Failed to reset mouse on isa0060/serio2

Clearly something is not working as it should. This is really annoying and I do hope that the 8.10 release will fix it. Meanwhile, if anyone is experiencing the same issue – please let me know.

2 replies on “Trackpad issue on Acer Aspire One under Ubuntu 8.4.1”

I noted the trackpad issue in library, the first time in a month when I didnt use a wireless mouse with One. I thought the whole system had jammed and run the recovery mode, with no result. Now it works again with the mouse allright.

I seldom use the trackpad, but if you find a fix I’m certainly interested.

My problem just disappeared a couple of weeks ago and I can’t reproduce it. I haven’t done any changes to the hardware so this has strengthened my assumption that the issue was software related from the beginning.

Comments are closed.